The Baird Collection - made in Bridgwater
Baird collection introduction
S. Leffman Ltd.,was one of the major suppliers for Marks and Spencer. High-quality underwear brands such as Partos
and St. Michael, quickly established themselves in the public consciousness. The factory off Halesleigh Road, was one of
the major employers in the town.
The factory was founded by Mr Stanley Leffman in 1932 in London. The factory then relocated to Bridgwater in 1939 on
the site of an old builder’s yard and workshop. The premises was extended and eventually a complete new facory was
built. Stanley had a son called Herbert who ran the business until 1988 when he accepted a management buyout. Due to
the financial crisis in Oct 1988 the buyout then sold to Bairdwear. .
The Blake Museum in Bridgwater has catalogued the samples from the factory in order to learn about the town's social
history. Students from the local FE college undertook the task of cataloging a data base of the corsets and various
undergarments that were produced in the town.
Copyright © Bridgwater Blake Museum 2020
From Stone Age to Modern Age, there’s something for everyone.
5 Blake Street
Tel: 01278 456127
First-hand Cookies are
neither requested nor
generated by this site.
Forum complies with